Re: Who taking off their edge

I'm talking specifically about the recent release of the BBC SESSIONS here.

There's been considerable discussion on another list about the tendency of
contemporary sound engineers to add a hard, bright edge to  remastered cds.
Music fans who had vinyl or bought earlier versions of cds don't generally
like the sound, which seems aimed at younger fans.  The Who sound on BBC
SESSIONS was fairly ear-splitting to being with, and of course the
brightness increased this effect.  It's not something the classic rock
market would enjoy--they're used to mellower sound. I'm not sure kids would
know what to make of it, either, and I think the punk market is fairly
limited right now (regardless of the opinions of critics).  Therefore, it
didn't sell well.  My opinion in the matter.

I was trying to get a little thread going on how well (or not) The Who and
camp managed the packaging and sale of their music--their marketing
strategy, in other words--but so far everybody is still galloping off after
The Beatles.  :\

keets