RE: Beatles Who and Scooby Doo

I don't have anything to check the dates with right off, either, but it does
seem like there was a gap between the two events.  As I recall, parents
weren't so impressed with the band, but teens, especially girls, were.
There was much screaming and much hype about which was cutest, etc. and I
gather that boys studied the phenomenon and went out to buy electric
guitars, jump starting the rock movement.  Later there was a fuss about hair
length, and the beginnings of a visible social change.

VH1 has a Behind the Music show about the Sixties which covers the American
bands and political events that pretty much amounted to a revolution.  I'd
recommend it to anyone interested in the period.

keets

>Do none of you remember a frequent hypothosis that one of the principle
>reasons the Beatles broke in America in such a massive way (and I don't
>have reference book at for to double check dates b4 anyone leaps down my
>thnroat) is that as a nation being exposed to them nationally vie the Ed
>Sullivan show came about after the (tragic) assisination of a certain US
>President JFK.  It is meant in as far as a nation were mourning
>collectively and along came these four bouncy chappies with weird hair,
>weird accents, more than a handfull of wit and humour etc, etc as well as
>pretty tasty new sounding songs.  The social changes taking place around
>then in the US were part and
parcel of the "English" invasion and the Beatles just happened to be right
there first.