Re: [TheWhoMaximumRnB] Re: Roger's voice

>For me, "Psychoderelict" could not have been improved upon by the
addition of the talents of Herr's Daltrey/Entwistle. I think is fairs well,
perfectly in fact, without them, and LIVE Pete used the incredible talents
of Simon Phillips on drums.

I agree.  Definitely, it's excellent as it is.  But it didn't sell.

>I don't *think* Pete needs TheWho->, but I am *SURE* that Daltrey
>needs TheWho->.

When Pete didn't need it, Roger didn't either.  Pete might be more familiar
in the U.S., but apparently Roger is better recognized in Europe, where he
was popular as a New Wave artist back in the Eighties.

>Sod his half assed acting career, if it were not for TheWho->,
>Daltrey would not have a life.

Pete needs The Who.  In the mid-nineties, his solo career had dropped off to
pretty much nothing.  PSYCHODERELICT was a masterpiece, but sales tanked.
Roger jump-started all their careers with the DST concert and tour.  Because
of that, producers came knocking at Pete's door for QUAD.

The flaw in your reasoning is that Pete is a great visionary and a genius,
but he lacks focus.  He tends to jump from idea to idea without being able
to complete anything, and he needs someone to fire him up and help him
organize his projects.

Back when The Who was getting started, Kit Lambert filled this role, picking
out the ideas that seemed commercially viable and helping Pete put them
together into a solid whole.  What went wrong with LIFEHOUSE is that Kit
Lambert didn't believe in it.  He wanted to continue marketing TOMMY,
instead.

We haven't seen any new Who material, of course, but as far as the
productions of the last few years go, it seems that Roger may be working
somewhat in Lambert's role.  What you've missed is the fact that Roger is
Pete's biggest fan.  He's willing to do the work to promote Pete (and his
music), and so far, Pete seems okay with that--despite the major differences
between them in philosophy and world view.

You're actually somewhat correct in what you say about Roger--you're just
mistaken in the scale.  Roger is a craftsman, from heating ducts to guitars
to world-class rock bands.  He's also a very practical thinker.  He is the
how-to man that can get things done.  This is what Pete needs help with.

We've yet to see how their recent cooperation will work out.  So far, things
look terrific, even if Pete is having problems explaining his creative
vision to Roger.

Is this what you mean about LIFEHOUSE?

Pete: "And then there's a grand ascension!!!"
Roger: "How are we going to do that on the stage, Pete?"

;)
keets