RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #291

-----Original Message-----
From: TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com [mailto:TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 8:53 AM
To: TheWho-Digest@igtc.com

The Who Mailing List Digest
 Thursday, October 25 2001 Volume 08 : Number 291

Fellow Listers:

First, thank you ML--I'm glad to know I'm NOT the only with these feelings
and observations!  Second, Bill Canell, thank YOU for sharing your
experience, your excitement and awe came through.  Last, regarding recent
comments about the Concert for NY and John Cusack's admiration for the WHO:
Light bulb finally came on last night on my way home from work as I listened
to the CD of Roger's tribute to Pete, I attended the opening night for
"Tommy" at the La Jolla Playhouse (don't remember how long ago this was, but
I think I was still young).  The night before the opening they held a
special, celebrity-studded benefit performance to which Pete, Roger and John
came...my daughter and I cruised up to the site, hoping to catch a glimpse.
We didn't see the guys, but did the perfunctory gawking as several celebs
entered.  Much to my surprise at the time, there came John Cusack (must have
been a baby), overcoat thrown over his shoulders (the Playhouse is on the
campus of the Univ of Cal at SD which is kind of on the Pacific Coast and it
was misty that night).   There were several other celebs that passed by, the
only other one I remember at this stage was Liza Minnelli.  Unfortunately,
the guys didn't stick around for the "real" opening night...but I'll never
forget it:  the audience was full of La Jolla Playhouse subscribers (well
into their senior years), it was great!  No one walked out....shoot even my
mom, who must have been in her 60's at the time went with us (three
generations, but then, she took my girl friend and me, too young to drive at
the time, to the Hollywood Bowl to see the Beatles).

Best to all!
Mare in the Silicon Valley