Re: My JAE Experience

Sunday night was an incredible experience for me and my band mates from Who's
Next. For those people who were disappointed for the lack of guest stars, or
even a Roger or Pete appearance I understand. We were NOT the guest stars
that night, we
were just lucky enough to experience a life long dream.

First off I would like to thank Steve and Godfrey and especially John for
ultimately it was his choice which made this happen. Few months back I had
the opportunity to spend hours with John talking about past WHO stories and
Keith insanity. His kindness and willingness to talk about the past just
showed to me how much he really cares. I mentioned to him (joking ) " if you
ever need work we can use a good John Entwistle bass player for our band, In
fact you kind of look like him a bit only with some gray hair." His response,
laughing," how much does it pay" I told John "You have to play with us one
day." After leaving that night I imagined how sick it would be, never
thinking that it might actually happen.

The way this came about Sunday happened so quick and unplanned. I brought
down my guitar knowing that there might be a chance at the end of the night
to jump on stage with a bunch of musicians jamming some tunes. Bobby our
drummer and Dave our singer didn't even plan on coming. It turns out we were
all there. After an incredible performance by the JAE band I went back stage
to talk to Steve and Godfrey. At that moment they were figuring out what to
play with who. I asked Steve if we can do a song, he said yeah. At first they
were going to have us play with another bass player. I said "No, it has to be
John." Steve said, John is in the dressing room if you want talk to him.
That's when I just walked in and said, " Can't Explain right now!!!" He
looked at me confused I said "We know all the songs just be able to keep up
with us" He then replies, " No, Can't Explain is to boring how about
Substitute" I then realized I just convinced, (with some help from Gigi) the
greatest bass player in the world to play with us. Ten minutes later I found
myself on stage with John and my band mates Bobby and Dave. ( also Chris
Clark from JAE band playing boards). I told the crowd that this was a
privilege and a dream come true for the three of us. I then launched into the
opening chords to Substitute. Throughout the song I would glance to my right
to make sure that this was really happening. After the song ended John made a
comment regarding my # 3 gold top Les Paul. I don't recall exactly what he
said but something about looking like Pete's guitar.

 At that point I didn't want to leave the stage... I then found my fingers
playing the opening chords to Can't Explain  (I knew this would be risky
because 15 minutes ago he said he didn't want to play it) I glanced over at
John and we both smiled as he and Bobby both came in on que. I ended the song
with a classic PT jump. In my head I was planning the up coming songs....
Dreaming From The Waist, Naked Eye, 5;15.... but then realized our time was
done. I decided to take off my guitar and leave the stage. I went back stage
to thank John again and we joked about Can't Explain, I said "You can't play
one without the other, they go together." He stopped and said "Your right"

In all it was a great evening. For the people who were there I thank you for
the great support. I hope we didn't disappoint anybody. I know that there
were some major who fans in attendance expecting something else.  I myself
would have rather watched Daltrey or Towhshend take that stage instead of
some tribute crap, but they weren't there, we were.

Bill Canell-   Who's Next