No Subject

New York 2

Ok I may have been wrong

----

I don't write these diaries the way most people might. I write directly into
the admin page of my website and then post them. I try not to edit them too
much, that means that sometimes half-formed thoughts appear here. This is a
private indulgence, a privilege only for those like me with an entire
website under their mattress. Most people make do with a little red book
with a brass lock and key.

After rehearsals yesterday, which went very well, with Roger falling right
into form and nearly catching up with Zak, John and myself (Jon Carin is
playing keboards), I went to see David Bowie at a studio. He has asked me to
work on a track of his new album. He played me a number of tracks. I can't
say too much, except it was surprising, moving, poetic (in a musical and
visionary sense). I think real Bowie fans (and a few of Radiohead) will be
able to walk tall soon in the knowledge that their hero can still break all
the rules and remain cool.

What was the real shock was finding that the European, disconnected,
atmosphere I spoke yesterday of finding here in New York was absent Downtown
where David is working. I was down in the area below numbered streets.
Suddenly, everyone seemed to have the old spirit, the humour. Maybe it's
because they were so directly connected that they now feel able to makes
jokes, fight to stay upbeat, and give generously of their energy.

It gave me hope that the rest of New York, and eventually the entire
country, will soon have its chops back.

Today I'm doing a soundcheck with The Who. I was to be playing a song with
Mick Jagger - and I was nervous - but Keith Richards has now shown up like a
lost division of the 7th Cavalry - I hope I'll get to strum in the
background.

-Pete Townshend

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!