Townshend in New York

Message from Pete at:
http://www.petetownshend.com/pr_display.cfm?id=264&zone=diary

New York

It feels different here. I don't want to harp on it too much, but usually
this city is a place that lavishes energy on you. Today, it feels more like
the average large city in Europe. It has the same feeling as Berlin, or
Munich, or London, or Paris. It is a large, thriving and busy city, but
although it has not lost its soul, it is not squandering its energy the way
it used to.

I miss that, obviously, because when I come here I come here to work, and
usually it is a very easy place to work. This time, it feels a little bit
harder.

The Who rehearsed last night in New York, Roger was late flying in and
missed that warm up. We have two more full run-throughs today, but are
playing just four songs, around 25 minutes. we want to give our best. There
are 18 artists on the bill, and many of them will have less than 5 minutes
to make their mark, and offer their energies. For The Who there is no point
trying to do anything at all in five minutes, the magic takes longer than
that. If it is that special magic that's needed, and not just our presence,
then we will need the time.

Coming here has made me angry. Angry with those dark-hearted people who feel
the need to drag down this great source of human energy and love to their
mundane and dusty level. If they hate what the USA says and does, then they
hate our chosen spiritual path. We are not perfect, we know that. But we
know that this country, this way of life, democracy with all its faults, is
the only way we can take responsibility and grow spiritually, emotionally,
intelligently and as humanitarians today. We know no other way. Their way
can never be our way. Let me illustrate that with one example of many.

The one fact that Fundamental Muslims carry in their extreme faith that
leaves me in complete incomprehension as to what they actually feel every
day of their life, is that they have banned music.

To them, as someone who literally lives for music, I do not exist. To me,
they are the 'Great Satan'. Take music from life and it becomes death. Not
some glorious metaphorical death that transmogrifies into some warped notion
of 'the Other Side', Heaven, Hell or what have you. It is a literal death.
For when I die, if I don't hear music, I would prefer to go on living. And
that, in my private spiritual process, would be hell.

-Pete Townshend

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm