MGDE article in Billboard

A few more details in this, including comments from Talmy and mention of
Pete's activities with Eelpie.
<http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1127472>

Who Classics To Be Mixed In Stereo

Two dozen recordings the Who made in 1965 with producer Shel Talmy will soon
be available in true stereo for the first time. Through an agreement with
Talmy, who owns the original three-track tapes of such classic songs as "My
Generation," "I Can't Explain" and "The Kids Are Alright," the songs will be
remixed to stereo and released by MCA as a deluxe edition of the band's 1965
album "The Who Sings My Generation" and other packages beginning in spring
2002.

Talmy was an independent producer who delivered the monaural mixes of the
songs to MCA's predecessor label, Decca Records, and most of the songs were
issued in faux stereo. When group and producer went their separate ways,
Talmy retained possession of the tapes, which also contain previously
unissued alternate takes of some songs.

"The first time I saw the Who, they were rehearsing at a church hall and I
loved what I heard from the get-go," Talmy said in a statement. "Now people
will be able to hear those first exciting, ferocious recordings we did
together in the best possible sound quality -- and in stereo."

Trained as a recording engineer in Los Angeles, Talmy moved to England in
1962 where he produced the likes of the Kinks, Manfred Mann, the Easybeats,
Small Faces, and others, including David Bowie when he was still known as
Davy Jones. He moved back to Los Angeles in the late '70s and has recently
returned to music production.

Other songs to be remixed to stereo from Talmy's tapes are "Anyhow, Anyway,
Anywhere," "Anytime You Want Me," "Bald Headed Woman," "Circles," "Daddy
Rolling Stone," "Heat Wave," "I Don't Mind," "I'm a Man," "Instant Party
Mixture," "It's Not True," "Leaving Here," "La-La-Lies," "A Legal Matter,"
"Lubie," "Motor-vating," "Much Too Much," "Please Please Please," "Shout and
Shimmy," "The Good's Gone," "The Ox," and "You're Going To Know Me."

Meanwhile, Who guitarist Pete Townshend has made available
soundboard-sourced, double-disc albums from his June 22-23, 2001, solo
benefit shows in La Jolla, Calif., via his Eelpie.com Web site. The shows
feature Who classics such as "Pinball Wizard," "Won't Get Fooled Again," and
"Eminence Front" alongside more rare cuts such as "St. James Infirmary" and
"Collings."