Re: From Rock to a hard place

> Also forgot to mention that there was a Bill Black Combo before Elvis...

Greg:

A very good point. The bass guitar became a strong factor in the 50's, not
with Paul McCartney.

> Elvis, but was I think originally by Big Mama Thorton (I think, unless I
am

Yes, it was Big Mama Thorton.

> I'm glad that I'm in the company of other Who fans who are unabashed
> fans of Carl Palmer!

John:

It's long been my opinion that he should have been Moon's replacement rather
than Jones. He was used to the three man band thing, had worked with Pete
before (with Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come) and was available in 1978. A
shame, really.

> Ummmm.  I'd say American Folk came from Minstrel, but Gospel didn't.
White
> Gospel has an Irish harmony and cadence, which makes it based on a type of

Keets:

I TOLD you I'm writing the short version here. I can't give every single
detail, we'll be here until bin Laden is caught...

> And country rock and jazz rock and classical rock...But then where does
rock
> stop and pop begin?

It depends on the song, I guess. I'd say the two best Pop songs of all time
were done by bands more likely to be considered Rock bands (that's Waterloo
Sunset by The Kinks and XTC's Senses Working Overtime, for the record).
Yesterday was Pop. Day Tripper was Rock N Roll.

> the 35-45 yr. male (raging testosterone) members of the list

Ceenie:

Good guess.

> sinne they're from the south it's "Southern Rock".  What the f*ck is
> "Southern Rock?"

Jon:

Rock with a Country feel. The Allmans were a Southern Blues band, not a
Southern Rock band.
And as you know, I am from and still in the South, so don't take it so
personally. There ARE dumbass Southerners just like there are Northern,
Western, and you-name-iters as well. White Trash abounds. Rednecks...when I
was young, I thought they were all in the South, and then I visited upstate
NY. All the Jerry Springer folks either have a Southern accent or
Ebonics...figure that out. I can't.

> I thought "white trash" music was crying-in-your-beer country.

Keets:

That's Country.

> To settle the "Is Rock American or British" debate - It's neither, it's
> African.

Jim:

Take it back far enough, it's Summerian. But I'm talking about what is now
considered Rock music. It didn't exist before 1965, and now it does.

> "Kumbya".

There's a word I never thought I'd see on the Who list.

> However Mark, you paint quite a hilarious picture for me; I can see Eric
> Idle as Sir Robin acting as manager for his minstrels in an attempt to
play
> Woodstock 1469 as The Minstrels, a 13th Century rock band.  They get the
> gig, go on before Ye Who, and get eaten for the encore - and there was
much
> rejoicing...

And Sir Robin ran away.

> What do people think is the reason that the UK has had such a strong
> influence on the music we love?

Tim:

Because the British tend to try to put a bit more quality into their music
than Americans. It's like they're writing for the ages, not for today. OK,
there are exceptions (Motorhead, Status Quo).

> I'd argue that its stronger than the US
>influence in the past 35 years

I'd say you're 100% correct. Pretty obvious, really.

  "Slightly more voters--in Florida as
      nationwide--preferred Gore to Bush."
     Chicago Tribune on the definitive recount

               Cheers                 ML