White Trash?

Hmmm...I may have a relevant take on this since I am living in the middle of
Yankee-dom, but half of my family comes from deep in the heart of Carolina
tobacco country.

My understanding of "white trash" is that it is a racist term meant to place
underclass white people on the level of the "nigger".  (See "Gone With the
Wind" for some examples of traditional usage.)  In this context, most early
rockers would have been considered "white trash" by racists, since they were
playing the music of the black man.  One might also be considered "white
trash" if one were doing the menial work reserved for blacks or living in
conditions of poverty associated with being black.

Incidentally, the lack of heavy racist baggage is one of the great things
that the Brits brought to the ROCK party IMHO.  They could dabble in black
music without the fear of being called "white trash".  They were not
familiar with that stigma.

"Trailer trash" is a more modern term.

How does this relate to Bruce Springsteen and The Who again?

Jeff