Re: Rock is not dead, I say

> > Don't forget white Gospel.  It has the sound of Irish music set to
>guitar
>
>I consider that British minstrel. Definitely root Country.

Ummmm.  I'd say American Folk came from Minstrel, but Gospel didn't.  White
Gospel has an Irish harmony and cadence, which makes it based on a type of
folk music, but not the same ballads as the Minstrels sang.  I'm also under
the impression that Minstrels stuck to the more populated South, and left
the crazy Scots and the Irish to their pipes out on the moors.

> >How do *you* define ROCK, anyway?
>
>I'd call it the music that came from RnR and evolved to the point where
>because the structure of the songs was fluid enough to embrace any sort of
>addition, it became the all-encompassing genre rather than a separate
>genre...thus forming Glam Rock and Punk Rock and Surf Rock (and Surf Punk)
>and so on, and so forth...

And country rock and jazz rock and classical rock...But then where does rock
stop and pop begin?  They were saying on VH1 last night that Rock has
returned, which means they don't think hiphop and R&B are a branch of it.
Are they working from a more limited definition?

keets