Re: First post to list

Hi Alan, re

> > Songs like 'The Seeker', 'I Don't Even Know Myself' (still one of my
> > all time faves) and 'Young Man Blues' really hit home to a 16 year
> > old who previously thought the best album in the world was 'Get Yer
> > Ya Yas Out' by the Stones (though I still do think that is a great
> > album, despite the anti-Stones sediment I detect).

Hmm. I think you mean sentiment:-)

Anyway, you're right. Unfortunately, there is a terrible tendency among
fans of a particular band to decry the worth of just about every other
band - or artiste. Beatles fans do it, Who fans do it, and so on and so
on. Yawn.

Grudging respect is paid to the undoubted stars in the firmament, like
Dylan, Presley, Holly, or Berry, but the gloves soon come off and it's
"my gang's better than your gang" time.

Disappointing really. Every artiste or band has something valid to say,
and in the case of the Stones it's mostly said on the London Years and
Let it Bleed. (IMO)

What counts is you - if you like the Stones, or Springsteen, or the Who,
Abba or Britney Spears it doesn't matter what others think.

Music should move you, excite you, inspire you, inflame you, make the
hairs stand up on your neck - (this actually happened to me once at a
Who show - only time it ever has at a concert, but it happened) The Who
were and are a wonderful collection of disparate misfits who made some
of the most amazing music - and still do it in concert.

I give you Manchester England 2nd November 2000 and NYC a few short
weeks ago as evidence of that.

But they are not Gods.

Keep a healthy respect for them and the love that's expressed in this
list for them.

Enjoy listening to whatever you like and whatever, don't let others
bully you into thinking that the Who are the be all and end all of
music, and nothing else matters (I like Metallica too)

Don't let it get you down though, if you think this is rowdy, take a
look at alt.music.who or Odds and Sods!

Welcome to the camp, I guess you all know why we're here, as it's
said:-)

Cheers,

John