Re: Rock is Rock

> Is THAT who-> opened for them???
>
> Gawd, how awful and absurd!!

AEB:

You'll get no argument from me there. I guess it's because MCA wanted to
promote their newest band. I saw LS while working backstage for a festival
early summer in 1973, and...they were fourth rate Allman Brothers.

> > the music is still a bit too "American white-trash / jock" for me.  Too
many songs
> > about Chevrolets & ex-girlfriends.
>
> Got that one right!

But I will disagree with both you and Scott here. Springsteen's music is
American, pure American, intentionally. His subjects reflect the culture,
and damned accurately. Not everything he's done is golden, true, but I've
not seen a stronger set of albums than from Born To Run to Born In The USA
from many artists.
And BTW Scott, I'd like to see you defend that "white trash" remark in
relation to Pete writing a hit single about wanking. I think the argument
could be made that some of the best Rock music came from the bottom (as it
were). The "jock" thing, I don't see it. No Springsteen sports songs on
anything I've got.

> All rock is American.  There are no exceptions.

Jeff. Jeff-Jeff-Jeffy-Jeff-Jeff:

I just don't know what to say to you here. But I'll think of something (what
a surprise). I will agree with you that RnR is originally American. Despite
the fact that its eventual roots (or "ruts" as one might pronounce it if one
were the current President, and don't ask him to pronouce "nuclear" because
he can't) coming from British minstrel music (as well as good ol' homegrown
American Blues). Country music also came from Minstrel music, as well as
early Blues (known as Country Blues and currently somewhat fashionable due
to O Brother Where Art Thou). The other side of Blues came, of course, from
Gospel, which came from field slave songs, which came from African songs.
But Rock, the type of music we call Rock (which has its origins in RnR,
certainly) was invented, created, sprang into existance, when our band The
Who recorded the song My Generation. Prior to that, the music by the big
bands was all based on Chuck Berry and Blues, but this was a brand new
animal.
So if we're talking about ROCK music, then the credit must go to the Brits.

> You & most people on this list.  One time I made some disparaging
> comments about "Sunrise" & Mark Leaman almost took me to court!

Scott:

Yeah, and don't think I'm not keeping my eyes on you still. So watch it,
bub.

> Of course rock is American.  Where did it come from?  England?
> I don't think so.

Jeff:

Think again.

> made some great rock but the music is American.  The idea of rock and roll
> is American.  The first British rockers were imitating Americans, weren't
> they?

Rock N Roll is not Rock. Definitions should be clear. For instance, as you
state below:

> Beatles = Elvis, Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins

Carl Perkins was not Rock n Roll but Rockabilly. Elvis played both. Chuck
Berry was pure RnR. And as for The Beatles, they were playing as many Motown
and R&B covers as RnR covers. Money, Really Got A Hold On Me, Twist And
Shout, for three.

> Stones = Elvis and Muddy Waters

WAY too simple! They were very light on the Elvis, if he was even a factor,
and much stronger on Berry than The Beatles. Waters, BTW, isn't RnR at ALL
but instead Blues. The Stones also covered a lot of R&B, including people
like Wilson Pickett, Smokey Robinson and The Temps.

> The Who = James Brown and Motown

Then why did they cover Here Tis and Smokestack Lightning? They were more
R&B oriented than the others, though. I'll grant that point. And that's why
they became a Rock band as opposed to RnR, like the early Beatles and Stones
(and Yardbirds and Kinks - though to a lessor degree).

> Bypass the court system completely!!  ;-)

AEB:

They're calling that a "military tribunal" now. I'd call it fascism, myself.

> She's also the one that paid $4500 for her pair of tix from the auction on
Ebay.

Magik:

Lots of money and a fine ass...what more could a Who babe wish for?

> her neck. The following day she went out and got the hearts tattooed on
her.

Ah. Tattoos. Right.

"Gore carried Florida by anywhere
       from 15,000 to 45,000 votes."