Re: John Entwistle/Beatles/etc

In a message dated 11/23/01 6:32:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lbleicher@yahoo.com writes:

> . I had this opinion some time ago,
> to me there was no better drummer in the world than
> Keith Moon, and no better bassist than John Entwistle.
> By doing that, I had my ears closed to lots of other
> great musicians out there!

I see your point.  I am not so narrow as to think this way anymore either.

 For example I know that Neil Peart is a better musician than Keith Moon. He
is strict. Do I like YYZ? Yes. But I can only listen to it a couple times and
then I am bored with it.

On the contrary I have listened to the Tommy Overture literaly thousands of
times and I simply cannot tire of it. I love it just as much as the first
time I heard it. Keith and Pete just go together. They have a sweetness and a
power that I just cannot describe adequately. Is Pete the greatest guitar
player? certainly not. He just happens to be my favorite in the whole world.
He is the master at giving you just enough and then backing off - then
nailing it. (This is where he blows Jimmy Page away) . He is always
interesting to listen to. The Who are my favorite band for many many reasons
but the biggest reason is not because they are the "best" (which I happen to
think they are) but because the music they make has an indescribable beauty
that I never tire of hearing. Any drummer I hear has to beat Keith Moon. Any
guitar player that I hear has to beat Pete Townshend. So far no one has
sounded better in my ears and mine have been open, too.  Maybe this is just
my opinion , but I don't think so. They hold up.

Jon in Mi.