RE: Sneaking a new album out??? Not!

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Sneaking a new album out?? I don't think so.
>
>But then, nobody seems to pay much attention to the mp3s that Pete posts on

>his websites.

That's because it's just Pete (pains me to say, not my O by any means!).  If
it were The Who, people would pay attention like EF Hutton.

>He could release/sell it track by track and nobody would be
>the wiser.

Don't agree, and what would be the point.

>Or even put it up beside OCEANIC CONCERTS.  Oh, here's a little
>thing I found lying around the studio...   ;)

Come on.  No way Jo-sey.  People are watching.  The moment a new WHO mp3,
track, or anything is put up, it will get noticed.

>Maybe not, but there is more to lose these days.  The Who's image has
>survived intact, and they don't want to do anything to tarnish it.

Yeah, true.  But damn, how bad could it be????  I mean if it gets the same
response as IH or FD, then hey, nothing much lost.  I can't imagine it would
be anything close to either of those albums.  The times have changed again,
and Pete seems to be very much back into rock 'n' roll.

>That's not really the best thing, though.  The critics were kind to IT'S
>HARD when it came out, but the album hasn't stood up well over time.

That's because people keep trying to cram that square peg into the round
hole they're used to cramming things into.  (boy, that's got some
connotations.....)

>In retrospect, it's obviously not their best work.

Well no, but it's not ba-a-a-a-a-ad.
It's different.  Let's not go down this thread again. :-)

>It clearly has gems on it
>that different fans love (and I certainly wouldn't trade my three in), but
>compare it to WHO'S NEXT where every track is a keeper.

Sucks to have to be prefect all the time.

>Say they do it--then how should they launch it?

There's really no choice.
It needs to be and will be launched with all the hoopla and fanfare of any
new Who album. Actually it would receive even *more* hoopla considering it
would be the first album in 18 years.  If it happens, it will be publicized,
it will be promoted, it will be on the radio, it will be on VH1, on MTV.
There's no stopping it.
Hell, look at all the publicity by simply suggesting that they are
"thinking" about working on a new album.

If you're gonna do it..............do it right.

Kevin in VT