RE: Zepp and Cigars

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Re: The Gods must be crazy; Zep must be crazy; Pop culture must be
crazy too

>Kevin:

Yes?

>>Where does one draw the line at
>>being a "fan"?
>Knowing the band's output beyond their two most popular albums would be a
>start, I think.

Perhaps.  But, I would argue that the majority of Who fans don't know all of
the bands output.  Hell, it took me a while to investigate it all.  Finances
also had some to do with that.  Couldn't wait to get out of college to
finally be able to buy all the albums I wanted.

>> We're Who-Nuts for crying out loud!
>Your point being?

We are exceptions, NOT the rule.

>> I think most simple "fans" probably have never heard of Sunrise.
>Simple as in Simple Simon,

No, not what I had in mind.

>who was feeble minded?

Was he?  Guess you're right there.

>I might be able to buy
>this argument...keep going...

I'm just saying that there are a *whole* bunch of folk out there who
consider themselves "Who fans", or more appropriately....."fans of The Who",
and really don't have even close to the amount of knowledge about The Who or
their music as the least knowledgeable person on all Who lists.  Yet, they
are fans, and should be embraced as such into the family of Who fans.  Ok,
they get to sit in the back, BUT STILL!

>> As long as the misinformation is positive about The Who, then I don't
>>care.
>Even when it writes off the greatest Rock album ever recorded????

No, you're right here.  I've been thinking about this part.  What a
blunderous statement by that "marooon".  It's actually down right
disrespectful, and could be cause for being booted out of the "fan club".
But!!!  I say but!!!  He was soooooo fucking psyched, and really had his
finger on the pulse, that I'll let it slide.  I take it you won't be as
forgiving.
I think I'll write him and set him straight on the Quad part.  I'll thank
him for his kind words, and then let him know that he can't be considered a
"fan" of The Who until he recognizes Quad for what it is...........a
masterpiece.
Remember, my whole point has been that people are talkin' about our boys,
and talking about them in VERY positive ways.  Think back a few years ago
when I went hunting down (figuratively people, only via E-mail. Don't start
any stalking rumors) that bastard from SPIT, I mean SPIN who was busting on
Pete.  The guy even had the balls to say the charity gig at Bridge Street
was a money making ploy. The nerve!!
We've come a long way baby.

>> interested. But she <my wife> did think it was pretty cool).
>Maybe she was just being friendly.

No, I think once she broke through her standard reaction of "oh, another Who
video that I have no choice but to watch and listen to" she realized the
gravity of the situation.  She really did like the use of flags on the vid.
screen, and then really felt the visuals of NYC during WGFA made a pretty
big statement.  Reminding her that it was live and on not just National, but
INTERNATIONAL TV made her stop and really appreciate what was happening.
I only meant that she wasn't off her seat screaming, scaring the dogs to run
upstairs to their beds, and looking for something to throw and
smash.........like some other VT resident you know.

>From: FELDMT@aol.com
>
>Should a band continue after a member dies? Well this depends on the talent

>of the member as well as what instrument the individual plays.

These points are very valid.
The Who could definitely not proceed without any TED.
Hmmmmmm, or could they?
No, definitely not.

But drummers seem to be much easier to replace, and I don't agree that
Bonham was irreplaceable.  He may have been un-duplicable, like Keith, but
could have been replaced.

This is really the biggest debate in Rock that we've seen.  It surrounds The
Who and Zepp., and none others.  Is it fair to say that most Rock fans dug
both bands?  And that since each band made completely opposite decisions
once their drummers died, that it split these rock fans into two distinct
camps???
Would Zepp. have made the same decision to disband if The Who hadn't already
gone through the same thing with less then enviable results?????
It's my thinking that Zepp was ripe for departure anyway, saw what The Who
was going through with their legions, and decided strategically to take the
opposite path in hopes of gaining an opposite result.

With all that in mind........I think any Zepp fan would agree that it's much
better now to be able to see TED with Zack, then not to be able to even see
Plant and Page (let alone to include JPJ).
I believe all Zepp. fans (fans, loose definition ;) would clamor for a
chance to see a reunion with *any* drummer.

The Who made the right choice, despite how difficult it was.  I don't blame
Kenny at all (well.......) for the perceived "down slide of the roller
coaster".  I blame the times, and Pete's wanting/need for a new musical
direction.  I also quite enjoy *both* IH and FD.
'CAUSE THESE TIMES THEY *WERE* A CHANGIN'...........'

>From: Sroundtable@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Roger's voice again
>
>I know i should let this die, but... I have now watched it probably 10 to
15
>times since having actually been there (another mention- i'm on a roll),

God man! ;-)
Can someone hook this boy up with a Tour 2000 Video boot, and quick??!!
I'd do it, but I'm back down to one VCR.
Sroundtable, E someone your comfortable with off list and get a trade goin'
!!!
But, it's always sweeter to view a vid. that triggers "been there" memories.
We're all smilin' with ya.

>and I'd agree with ur emotion analysis.

Yeah, his lower lip was even quivering at several points.  God bless him.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Copy-Cat and a Cigar
>
>Depends, I'd guess.  For one thing, on how the members see the band, and
>maybe how the fans see it, too.  Clapton has always seemed to think of a
>band as something temporary, and he always migrated before things got
stale.

Yeah, loyal as a.....as a......as a......Taliban soldier, or
as...as....STING????

>The Who was a really tight unit, though, for both the members and the
>fans, so it was tough to find a replacement for Moon that could fill either

>the technical or the emotional slot.

Agreed. See comments above.

>Again, we are all really lucky to have Zak.

Man, I *really* agree with that. *NOT* only because of his talent, but also
because of his "family" connection.  It really is like "all in the family".
Why won't Zepp get together with John Jr. ???

Stay in Tune,
Kevin in VT