RE: Copy-Cat and a Cigar

>Ok.  Here's where the *GRAND* debate in *ALL* of Rock 'N' Roll lies.
>Should a band disband when one of their members leaves or dies.
>I haven't done any extensive research, but I think it's safe to say that
>most bands find replacements and continue forward.

Depends, I'd guess.  For one thing, on how the members see the band, and
maybe how the fans see it, too.  Clapton has always seemed to think of a
band as something temporary, and he always migrated before things got stale.
  The Who was a really tight unit, though, for both the members and the
fans, so it was tough to find a replacement for Moon that could fill either
the technical or the emotional slot.

For another thing, the band organization has a bearing--I'd say there are
key members you can't do without and still keep the same fan base.  This has
to do with the technical and artistic side of things.  Moon was intrinsic to
the way The Who played, so they had to make a major change in their style to
play with Kenney.  Also, Queen comes to mind again--Brian May is such a
dramatic composer that they have to have a singer with a huge, dramatic
style to front them.  They have found singers who sounded like Freddy
Mercury, but he was was such an important part of their artistic statement
that he can't really be replaced.

Bands are a business entity as well as an artistic unit, so it's certainly
possible to take on more members, or to switch out non-essential ones and
continue on.  For example, The Who added Rabbit and he fit in very well.
But losing someone as important as Moon (in both style and personality)
crippled the band for years.

Again, we are all really lucky to have Zak.

>Speaking of Rog and MSG Concert for NY:
>I did another viewing this weekend (funny, my wife was only mildly
>interested. But she did think it was pretty cool). I'm now of the opinion
>that during BBE, Roger was beginning to lose control of his emotions.  He
>seemed to really start to get choked-up.  My wife said
it first, and then I agreed.  Hell, he was staring right at a bunch of fire
fighters who were crying and holding pictures of their fallen comrades.

Could be.  Seems like I thought that was a possibility, too, when I first
saw it.

keets