Re: [TheWhoMaximumRnB] Re: Roger's voice

In a message dated 11/3/01 1:40:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, campbell@fix.net
writes:

> We all know it was John Winston Lennon, the mind and voice,
> > the lyric and melody, that contained the magic and creativity
> > that kept TheBeaTles from being McCartney's version of
> > ThePartridgeFamily

I agree here, but certainly not about the melody or even the voice. Like
Lennon said, you'd never hear someone whistling " I am the walrus" in Spain.
The white album clearly shows that they were BOTH geniuses and George showed
up as well.

> The Who, like the Beatles are greater than the sum of their parts.

Definately

>Pete is the engine, the power house

Pete indeed is the source of the Who's energy- especially live- but That came
about from the experiences of playing live with two men many years ago. 1).
Roger Daltrey. The owner of the band and the decision maker. The front man
that girls liked (Pete was just a nose on a stick that was lucky enough to be
asked to join Roger's band while he learned to play the guitar- better and
better).  And 2). Keith Moon. The Real engine behind this band. He is the one
that made the others have to perform. The minute he sat behind the kit, the
confidence came. The gifts in the other members were forced out in order to
compete with this guy. (Maybe John was just frustrated). The girls ran past Pe
te to get to Keith and that made Pete (sensitive and intelligent enough to
become enraged by this) do what needed to be done in order to put the
spotlight on Him where he knew it should be. He learned to forcibly take the
limelight away from the other dynamic members of the band by windmilling,
jumping, smashing guitars and letting out all the frustrations that we all
can identify with in a very genuine way. That's what I dig about Pete and
don't dig about Paul Mc Cartney.
It just so happens that Pete is a brilliant songwriter and musician on top of
being such a well trained performer. He owes and we owe Roger and Keith so
much for bringing this out of him. I appreciate that Roger is big enough to
defer to Pete and keep it going.

>Roger is a fucking whimp.

Whhaaaaat??

Jon in Mi.