Re: Pearl Jam and The Who

> Mark, the only thing i can say is there is no doubt i share your
> fustration!!!!!!! We are definitely fans of not only the band that is the
> hardest to manage but the most frustrating!!!

Scott:

My guess would be that Pete posted the MP3's because Pearl Jam was releasing
their tour. But downloads are still deadly to those of us in the sticks who
are not yet able to get a cable modem.

> The Who has been considered way more of a cash cow than PJ, so everybody
> wants to have control of the music.  Likely it's a legal battle every step
> of the way on the old stuff.  The only thing that's likely to loosen it up
> is declining market value.  Notice Talmy failed to get his price, so now
> he's negotiating with Pete.

Keets:

Is he? That's good news!

> They might become available for download, Pete says.  Depends on how this
> one works out.  I wouldn't expect cds, though.  The market seems too
limited
> to make all that worthwhile.

As I said, it seems to work for PJ. And then...downloads are no fun unless
you have a T1 or cable modem.

> Now I have another question about downloads.  What happens to the resale
> market?

Believe me, with a used CD store it's something I have considered. At
present I don't buy burned discs, unless they're (cough) "imports" which are
almost all burned these days.

> It's always been considered fine to resell legitimate cds--one of

Not really; at first they tried to make it illegal.

> the objections that labels discovered right away was their durability.

Burned CDs have a longer lifespan, according to the experts. I can't
remember precisely, but I think it's 50 years for silver and 120 for blue,
with green falling in at 75. Or something like that.

> I would not expect TED to follow in PJs footsteps or vice versa.

Jeff:

Why not, if it works. It's good for me.

"The same person has been at the last three shows in Texas.
   They're holding up a sign which says: Bush sucks.
     The craziest thing - it's his daughter."
                      Eddie Vedder

               Cheers                 ML