Re: Denver and Smash my head against the wall

>Anyway, what I was going to say about Pearl Jam releasing every show of a
>tour is that it tends to irritate me when we Who fans can't even get the
>first album remastered or the second in stereo, and hardly ANY live
>material from their 20 year career (not counting reunions). Obviously few
>even hard core PJ fans are going to buy all 64 sets. And yet Epic and PJ
>are making money. PJ is not nearly as popular as they were, and I can't
>imagine they're much more popular than The Who at this point. Maybe a
>LITTLE. Maybe not. So then why can they release this much (and not even
>considering how much of the material is repeated) and we can't even get
>Tommy LAL or the King Biscuit Quad show, or Tanglewood or Essen and so on
>and so forth?

The Who has been considered way more of a cash cow than PJ, so everybody
wants to have control of the music.  Likely it's a legal battle every step
of the way on the old stuff.  The only thing that's likely to loosen it up
is declining market value.  Notice Talmy failed to get his price, so now
he's negotiating with Pete.

>My suggestion, such as it may be, is a concentrated letter writing campaign
>to all official Who and MCA addresses (I know someone on this list has
>them, if they would be so kind) pointing out the PJ releases and asking why
>they cannot do something similar for (at least) each Who tour. Or a live
>boxed set. It may work, it may not...but at least we will have tried.

They might become available for download, Pete says.  Depends on how this
one works out.  I wouldn't expect cds, though.  The market seems too limited
to make all that worthwhile.

Now I have another question about downloads.  What happens to the resale
market?  It's always been considered fine to resell legitimate cds--one of
the objections that labels discovered right away was their durability.
There's going to be no artifact to resell in this situation.  TED makes the
ONLY legitimate sale.

keets

Is