RE: CharityMusicTommyDownloads

>From: John Hughes <john@pureneasy.fsnet.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Misconception over payment for Denver download for charity
>
>unless I am very much mistaken there is
>nothing there about any element of the payment going to charity.

As Keets so accurately pointed out, it's simply speculation at this point.
But, damn strong speculation considering what the band has been doing as of
late.

>but people seem to have got
>the idea that the download payment is for a charity. It isn't.

Pretty adamant statement for someone who doesn't know.

>If you want to give some money to a charity fine, there's a million out
>there who would welcome it, but please don't think one penny of your
>payment for the download will be going to a charity.

"I have to be careful not to preach......"
Someone tell me why this line is running through my head as I read the
above.

>Obviously, I will stand corrected if you can refer me to whatever says
>it is.

No need to stand *if* you are.

>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>Subject: music readers
>
>Pete had sheet music in front of him during the '98 Boston solo show.  I
>can't say that he was reading the music in a conventional way, but he was
>looking at it quite a bit.

I noticed Pete "reading" music in a vid recently.  Can't remember if it was
a 2000 tour show.  Actually, I think it may have been Beacon Theatre.

>From: Pilam76@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Tommy
>
>Well Pete did say that quadrophenia captured the who live best on stage.

Hmmm, that's strange considering all the problems on the first attempt.

>Tommy does not. WN & Quad are adaptable for the stage
>more than Tommy like you said.

Man, I don't get this at all.  As one who has been listening to many a
different version of live Tommy lately, I have to disagree.  The Tommy trips
simply drive and are forceful.  They rock!  Keith it at his prime.  I really
don't understand the above statement by some.  It was the staple for so many
years that catapulted the band to stardom.  It must have had *Some* sort of
positive effect for it to still survive after all these years as a 60's gen.
favorite.  Hell, it's on Broadway now (or at least was), and that's not due
to a lack of demand.
Tommy was my entrance into The Who.  It blew my mind then, and still blows
it today.
My favorite Keith image?????
IOW video of Keith leaving his seat jumping, and landing on the down beats
during Tommy.
Music has to have a strong effect for a drummer to go jumping off his seat
in joy like that!
Plus the ending............Listening to you........what a unifying theme
between band and audience.
Still has the same effect now (see Day In The Garden Vid) that it did back
in the day.

>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>Subject: my connection is too slow, dammit
>
>A suggestion to the list:  If you want the Denver download but are
>technologically unable (like me), you might want to send an email to
>flashspud@yahoo.com to let them know.
>
>Matt said "Depending on the response to this download the band may consider
>making more live shows available in this way."  Don't go uncounted.

Yes, but we don't want them *not* to offer downloads!
I'd rather work out a trade in a month, than having to wait months or a year
for some better technology to come along.
Is there a specific alternative that can be done now????

Kevin in VT
(still laughing about "Keff" considering I just had to go back for the
millionth time and delete an L out of my name)