Re: Downloadable Who

> Nope.  It was an official release, so copying and selling it would be

Keets:

Now I never said "sell" but "trade."

> What songs?  All of them, or just the main structure?

OK...so you don't have Max R&B or the Tommy demos. Keets...you need to get
with it.

> The fact of the finished song.  The question is whether he writes the
> lyrics/music down before or after it's done.

I have no idea.

> Only since the invention of the calendar and the clock.

Hey, I'm not THAT old that I predate the calendar and clock!

> do that.  Meher Baba's coming back, you know.  ;)

His spirit, anyway.

> Hey, the earth turns.  Every year it comes back to about the same place
and
> starts over again.  True, it runs down a little on every trip, but not
> enough that we'll ever notice.

But human history must be torn down to rebuild, so until we tear down Rock
and go to something new, it can't be reborn like a Phoenix from the ashes.

> Until he goes to work for Pete, that is.  Watch out, Brian!  ;)

I think HE can handle it. Now, that doesn't mean Pete can.

> Might I point out that people have been trading cassette tapes and
> CD-Rs of out-of-print or discontinued legit. material for years.

Rich:

IMHO, anything out or print is fair game for bootlegs.

> Just look at how much trading goes on for the Brunswick (I think)

The Brunswick and Virgin labels are the best sounding.

> original idea behind being "out of print" was that it was expensive to
> "tool" up an assembly plant for the pressing of vinyl records.

Despite this, Europe and Japan managed to keep most titles in print. It's
only here in the USA where it's "too expensive" for some reason.

> All this tech. is in the hands of a sophisticated bootlegger as well,
> which is why they can print silver CDs for a run of a couple hundred

There are blank silver CDs available now (although I've yet to get my hands
on any). So it's now down to anyone with a computer and a $100 burner.

> I don't know Mark.  I've gone back and forth on this.  He looked
> uncomfortable when he said it.  Like a little kid getting caught in a lie.

Kevin:

Perhaps it's a perception thing, but I saw a twinkle in his eye...like "we
know and they don't get it." To me, he didn't even seem uncomfortable. To
see uncomfortable, see Bush when he was caught really lying about not being
arrested.

> Again, he would have been hugely respected if he had just come out and
> clarified with a statement of "IT WAS A JOKE, of course I inhaled!

However, that's like admitting something when there was nothing to admit. If
there are some who "don't get it," that's their problem not ours. The real
joke is: none of this mattered! Being an alcoholic (again, like Bush) is
MUCH more dangerous than being a Pot smoker...by ANY measure.

> lie that who's to ever know what's true?

Brian:

It's not whether it's true that matters...the problem here is that anyone
cared at this point.

> Now back to Pete Townshend who smoked enough pot in the 1960's to get the
> city of London high.

This is the part I don't understand...that anyone who can accept Townshend's
behavior but is unwilling to accept lessor behavior from Clinton. I guess
it's that word again...

"We must have the attitude that every child in
  America-regardless of where they're raised or
       how they're born-can learn."
     George "It wasn't obvious to ME" Bush

               Cheers                 ML