Re: Downlaodable Who

Yeah, I know.  This is why Springsteen went direct from concert to cd
without a stop at the studio, and why Starr used a DAT on his last release.
Trading and selling have gone bigtime, and the artists are changing their
tune to match.  You may well see more quickie one time offers of a download
(like BTTB or Denver), and then it's gone.

Your threat is repeated every time this subject comes up, but it may not
have the result you expect.  Everybody has sworn they'd buy all the official
releases, if only they were available, but now we're already getting the
comments that mp3 downloads aren't good enough to waste money on, and that
only REAL cds are good enough to buy.  I gather this will be the
justification to boot the Denver download, right?

Actually, with all the bootlegging and reduced record sales, artists are
likely to be more inclined to offer music this way.  They can put it up
easily, get what money is going to come in, replace it with something else,
and expect that those who bought it will make it available to everybody
else.  How's that for a market analysis?

Saves a lot of work pressing cds, anyhow.  ;)

keets

>Might I point out that people have been trading cassette tapes and
>CD-Rs of out-of-print or discontinued legit. material for years.
<snip>
>If The Who don't put the material on the market and it exists, then
>someone else will put it on the market.  Does that mean that an
>artist's catalog should never go out of print?  Why yes, it does....
>but with CDs just being a pile of bits, why should it matter?  The
>original idea behind being "out of print" was that it was expensive to
>"tool" up an assembly plant for the pressing of vinyl records.  With
>CDs, its just a bit stream.  There is the printing, cutting and
>folding of any additional packaging with a commercial release, but
>these things can also be done on a cost-effective basis for a single
>unit because its just an ink jet printer fed from another data
>stream.
<snip>