Re: New Who and other stuff

> Wouldn't you agree that in 1979 the who were as close as they could get to
> being at their best. They did play some great gigs in 79. Nothing that
could
> match Leeds, IOW, etc., but they played the Kampuchea show, the 12.8.79
> Chicago show, the first gig at the rainbow, that were all good shows.

Scott:

I'm not as impressed with Kampuchea as everyone else, I guess.  The Chicago
gig is the one where Pete's drunk, and he's not very good. I haven't heard
the Rainbow show.

> But alas he has indeed taken the spiral path down
> these past few years and these stupid duets, credit

Dave:

And we don't want Pete on this path, do we?

> The last one I bought was "Houses of The Holy".  They just don't do a
> whole lot for me.  Again - they weren't ever THAT great to constitute a
> meltdown.

Jeff:

Wow...someone who is down on Zep even more than I am...I didn't think
someone like that existed.

> Jamming and ad libbing are part of the writing process

Historically, Pete has sat down and wrote, then recorded his songs before
presenting them to the band.

> likely to play out on O&S.  Scott actually had to close it down a couple
of
> times because people flamed the list, presumably trying to crash the
server.
>   He now has software to limit who can post.

Keets:

I find that amazing...the list was created to let people post freely with no
restrictions at all.

> The problem with this is that it doesn't matter who's right.

Tell me about it...I think about that every time I think about Florida. Or
fill up my gas tank. Or drink water. Or see how high the unemployment rate
has gotten.

> I'm not sure musicians sit down with a pencil and paper and write songs.

But as I said above, we DO know how Pete writes.

> Isn't MG in two-four time?

It's not the time but the breaking of the Blues hold on rhythm that
matters...it was a freeing up of song structure, which in time became
whatever it wanted to be...but some song had to be the first to go beyond
the others, and I believe that was My Generation.

> Well, churches do tend to belabor their point a little

A LITTLE? Burning forever in a lake of fire...that's a little to you?

> reason that rock music can't be sweet and sunny--much of sixties and early
> seventies rock was very idealistic.  It's just another sub-genre.

One we've moved beyond. You can't go back, as much as some might want to.
Forward, upward, onward...that's what I've been talking about.

> You mean they're no longer forbidden?  Shock rock is still disliked by
most

But look how hard they have to work to get there...and maybe you don't even
know how it's gotten with Death Metal, and there's no need for you to
really. Spare yourself.

> What representative do you mean?  For this list?  For US fans?

For ALL Who fans.

>     Hi Gang,Two questions.First who was it on the list that has a record
> store in Mrytle Beach?

Bill:

That would be me, but I have no records (my partner has some in his store,
however). Just CDs and DVDs.

> And second is I can't remember the name of the
> editing program I've heard so much about.Cool edit something??  Thanks

Cool Edit is the one, and it's pretty great for taking LPs to CD, taking out
the surface noise and cracks/pops. Dart Pro is my preferred program for hiss
(I'm using it right now on some XTC material). Gold Wave is the best thing
I've found for adjusting too slow or fast bootlegs...and that one's a free
download. If I can help you with any of these, contact me privately.

"It's very important for folks to understand that when
    there's more trade, there's more commerce."
          George "It wasn't obvious to ME" Bush

               Cheers                 ML