Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #117

>Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 07:37:28 EDT
>From: Pilam76@aol.com
>Subject: meltdown/comeback
>
>Does anyone agree with the statement that the who had the worst meltdown as
>1982 came along and they have had the best comeback, or the fire was
>rekindled with this past tour??

I'd agree, that The Who had fallen the farthest because they were so high
above most acts (but I don't know how accurate that observation is. Lots of
people on this list seem to think, and with valid reasons, the The Who
stopped being truly great after Quadrophenia). I'd say if they melted, it
was the 89 tour. It was good ut no the Who.

I don't know if the last tour really redeemed them. They still hauled out
the old tunes, and came out with nothing new. And from the outside, that
looks a bit pathetic. Still, the Dead did that for years and were considered
legends. Still, their live shows were very "organic" and changed quite a
bit, unlike the Who's.

-gern