Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #85

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:41:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
Subject: Too Much of Anything

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Re: New album

I heard a story recently (can't remember who told it) about an early 70s
festival where The Dead, The Band and The Allman Brothers played 3 great
sets.  When they tried to close the festival with a jam session, things fell
apart.  It seems The Dead were tripping, The Band were drunk and The
Allman's were coked up. >>

Hello group,
    For all those interested the concert was Watkins Glenn.  I was there.
Only 16 at the time.  It was like the little brother and sisters of
Woodstock.  I do not remember much of the night.  Too many drugs.
    All I remember is the Dead started with Bertha.  It rained during the
Band's set.  And we left the site with the Allman Bros. playing an awesome
version of Whipping Post.  The follow spots had given up and they were
shinning on a cloud.
    It took us several hrs to find the car.  And the drive home was very
scary.  We took turns driving home.  About one hr. each.  That was all we
could handle.
    I know that the Band released  a CD of their set.  But I think that it
turned out to be fake.  Also the Dead did an awesome sound check the night
before.  It can be found on their box set.
Enough of the old memories.  The Terps will be on soon.
Another Jeff