Re: Oscars; new material

> I finally caught most of the Hall of Fame ceremonies last night, and
someone
> said that to be good something had to "sound familiar and surprise you" at
> the same time.

Keets:

Yes, the "sound familiar" part is the hook of the song. A substitute might
be "sound catchy."

> I agree.  It's always a marketing problem.

Everything is marketing. And it's often about turning what is a liability
into something desirable. If I were to market a live boxed set by The Who,
I'd say: The greatest live performances by the world's greatest live Rock
band. I wouldn't say: this band hasn't made any new music in 25 years so
we're selling their old stuff now.

> Again, I think it's The Who
> philosophy that sells, as expressed by Pete's writing and the band's
sound.

That's too pat an answer. That's what sells it to YOU, but there are some
who just get off on the power of the music. There are some who look beyond
the music to only the words, and then some (me for one) who look at the
entire effect of both music and lyrics (how they interact, and how the
musicians interact), and in context of what's come before and going on
currently.

> Pete/The Who are always out of step.  They're leaders, not followers.

Hmmm...here I have to split with it. Yes they were leaders, until WBN
anyway. But I also don't think they were out of step until then, and then
only because they "fell back" to their "sound." Quad predicted what was
coming musically at least through New Wave (Dirty Jobs).
With WBN, Pete stated at the time he was trying to do a "Who's Next" type of
album...that's regression, not progression. And for all it's purported
progressive intent, WAY is even more regressive.
Now the best example of a band out of step would be The Kinks from
1967-1969. Arguably their greatest period, but nothing like the trends of
the time.

> industry.  I'd say it's time for a rock revival--just don't expect
seventies
> rock.

Well, you know...it sounds good to me.

> difference.  I loved that MG mp3.  Is that a slick sound?

No, slick is FD. Slick is Let My Love Open The Door. See what I mean? Not
slick is LAL, MG.

> live the whole summer, I figure that's what they arrived at, and I'd be
> happy to hear it on a new ablum.

It would be great if they record essentially live (and cheaper too,
important since they're not likely to have a "hit" album). But Townshend is
a studio tinkerer from way back.

> Mark, missed a couple of tours??? With the rumors that float around on
this
> list, central park, new album, etc. how could you miss a tour???  :)

Scott P:

I couldn't. I wouldn't.

> You are 100% right!!!!!

Joseph:

I don't know about that. The Empty Glass material seems as wrong for The Who
as what they used.

> "Mystery" IS the key word here.

It's no mystery; Pete wanted to shake free from his past, so he went Pop
rather than Rock. Not a bad move considering New Wave was just coming of age
and owed no small amount to his songwriting, and it was mostly Pop. A rather
astute move, in fact, but one which didn't work for many reasons. Mainly
that Pete wasn't trying very hard. To progress one must be driven. By this
time, Pete felt like a dinosaur, and undoubtedly held himself back to some
degree from what might have been a lot bolder strokes. At the risk of
mentioning The Kinks twice: Paranoia, the destroya.

> What, doesn't every bass player want to pick "A" for 10m?

Bruce:

He always says that, but there's nothing forcing him to do no more than
that. He could jam in MB just as he does in the other songs.

> How can he afford to go to EVERY Who concert since 1968?
> I know he has been at every Who concert I've been too. :)

His cousin is the one who always yells "PLAY FREEEEE BIRD!" at everyone's
concert, including a Dylan show I was at a few years ago.

> Congrats to Cameron Crowe and Bob Dylan for their Oscar wins.  Crowe won
for
> Best Original Screenplay and Dylan for Best Original Song.

Keets:

But it sure was weird to see Dylan thanking the Academy...something I never
imagined I'd see. I wish Crowe had mentioned The Who or Tommy for
inspiration, too. Oh well.

"A lot of times in the rhetoric, people forget the facts. And
   the facts are that thousands of small businesses-Hispanically
     owned or otherwise-pay taxes at the highest marginal rate."
              George "It's the economy, I'm stupid" Bush

               Cheers                 ML