Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #78

FELDMT@aol.com wrote:

> Yes, what I've seen from the 1989 tour, the Who were a disgrace.

	Interesting.  I thought that they were quite the opposite on their 1989
tour!

 They toured
> with a horn section

	That added even more live dimension to their sound!

 and Pete only played acoustic guitar.

	That was bunk, but they at least had a damn good electric guitarist
with them, and it was either THAT situation or NO touring at all!
Pete's ears were especially bad leading just prior up to that era.

 This totally
> emasculated the original power of the Who. Simon Phillips is what you call
> "an over-busy" type of
> drummer and really wasn't up to the task, either.

	Haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!  That's ridiculous!!  Simon Phillips was the BEST
thing that The Who had done for themselves at that point in their
touring career!!!

> I did think the full length
> Tommy concert in LA was pretty good, however.

	Well, finally something I agree with you with!!

> Really, the Who would have
> been better off if they had done what Led Zeppelin did when Bonham died, that
> is quit on the spot. That would have kept their legacy intact and most
> likely, would have resulted in greater revenues from music they had recorded
> up till WAY.  I guess they had to keep working because they had just made a
> huge investment in Shepparton Studio, in London and really didn't have a lot
> of liquid assests.

	This is true.

> But still they were foolish not to consider this.  Instead
> they had Kenny Jones picked out in two weeks and a 1979 tour planned out.  I
> saw the WHO in 80 and they put on a good show, the problem was their studio
> albums: Face Dances and I't's Hard, which both suck.

	Not up to the calabur of their previous material, but cool albums
anyway.

> Certainly, if Townshend
> used the material from Empty Glass for the Who, Face Dances would have been
> something else entirely.

	You are 100% right!!!!!

  But that is another mystery why Townshend wished to
> make that move.

	"Mystery" IS the key word here.

								Joseph