Paul Simon (PT played with him once)

In a brief stroke of "luck" I saw only Paul Simon perform on the Mammy Awards show.  I thought the song was real odd "You're the One".  I picked up the album and it really is a good, challenging album.  I have greater respect for Paul Simon than I ever have, I have had a love/hate relationship with Paul Simon's work, but this album has some of the most cerebral non-conformist music I have heard.  The problem with today's radio is you will not hear this music any longer, this or Steel Dan, album of the years winners, sometimes it is too bad, but I am happy to have discovered this.  He is really challenging the status quo of rock music - remind you of someone else...

What I particularly like are the rhythms and the way he is stretching the lyrics around the beat of the song, it is almost counter to the song's beat, really free form.  Any album with Steve Gadd (probably the best session drummer on the planet) on drums and Bakithi Kumalo (one of the best fretless players on the planet) on bass already starts off right for me.

So, if you are looking for a little spring in your step and some good music, check out Paul Simon's You're the One.