Re: Simon plays good show to tiny audience

>Simon's show started at 1:05 a.m. Sunday, March 18, 5 minutes after the
>scheduled starting time.  Unfortunately, the audience was very sparse,
>numbering 25-30 in a theatre built to hold 300 or so. (FWIW, acts played at
>9, 10, 11, and 12 p.m. prior to Simon's set, and Simon had the largest
>audience of the night.)  The venue was a mile or so away from the heart of
>the downtown SxSW activity, which probably hurt attendance.

Whew.  I was thinking the situation might be something like that when I
looked at the list of bands and venues and the times.  Likely the benefit
paid Simon's costs coming from the UK, which may have made this a nice
visit, and not that much of a losing proposition.  Good thing, huh?  Guess
he can at least put the show on his resume.

>The audience was appreciative at all times and applauded each song
>enthusiastically but nothing could overcome the fact that it was just too
>small a crowd in that space to allow the magic of a great live performace
>-- especially when contrasted with the well-attended benefit Simon played
>with Roger in Vail the preceding night.

Did you make it to both, Alan?  Any news of the benefit show?

keets