Re: JEB/ Abbey Road tour froma Todd fan's perspective....

Subject: Dateline Phoenix June 23rd: The Madrigal History Tour…

The Madrigal History Tour… Is Waiting To Take You Away

Starring Cast:
Sodd Runtlestuntle (John's Favorite),
Ann (All You Need Is Lunch) Wilson,
Father Parsons (writing the words to a ditty that someone will hear),
Who's Entwistle? (Ringoesque but talented),
Townsend (but the wrong one for Pete's Sake!) and
A Pack of Ambrosia (extra filtered).

"Golden Slumbers fill your eyes…
 Smiles awake you when you rise.
 Sleep pretty darling do not cry…
 And I will sing a lullaby."

One day after witnessing the Phoenix stop on this Madrigal History Tour…
here are my observations, thoughts and feelings. On one level, this was
an amazing concert to experience… in other respects; it was somewhat
empty and sad. Don't get me wrong… this line-up (and their supporting
cast) had the chops, pedigrees and versatility to pull-off this Concert
Oddity. The range of material, the lush lead vocals and harmonies
theoretically should produce a fulfilling Walk Down Abbey Road.

There were plenty of high-points throughout the show… Ann Wilson's voice
was in amazing form (as has been consistently reported since this tour
began). Godfrey Townsend was a versatile guitarist and played flawless
(digitally sampled) piano during  "Maybe I'm Amazed". The session
keyboardist and drummer were excellent and completely up to the task of
supporting the broad spectrum of musical styles and arrangements that
were demanded of them. David Pack (the lead singer/multi-instrumentalist
from Ambrosia) was a much better guitarist than I ever realized and his
vocals were consistent and versatile throughout evening. This was even
more impressive given the wide range of songs (and harmonies) he was
asked to cover.

John Entwistle was very fluid on bass (just like the other 4-5 times
I've seen him with the Who (over the past 25 years). He was his usual
lifeless self with (seemingly) all of him energy concentrated through
his fluid fingers. He does have a detached "Ringoesque" quality about
him. Although he is a much more accomplished master of his instrument
(bass) than Ringo will ever be.

Not surprisingly, Todd easily maintained the most charismatic presence
on the rotating stage (this show was performed in the round). During
Hello it's me" Todd straddled the narrow circular outermost ridge (maybe
2 ½ feet in width) of the round stage and really worked the crowd (to
rousing cheers). "Bang on the drum" was as goofy as ever and "Open my
eyes" was fun to hear with a big supporting band behind Todd.

While all of the players covered the Beatles tunes beautifully… the end
result was kind of like consuming an artificial sweetener… the
aftertaste was somewhat less than satisfying. A line-up with this much
talent, versatility and wonderful original music catalogs  (albeit for a
Beatles Tribute Tour) would have no problem supporting one another's
material well beyond the (three songs apiece) first set format.

I would have loved to hear this band back up TR on any of the following:
"Change Myself", "Love Is The Answer", "Real Man", "Can We Still Be
Friends", "The Want Of A Nail", "I Saw The Light", "We Gotta Get You A
Woman" or dozens of other Rundgren ditties (I realize that the more
progressive TR material would be too much to hope for in this kind of
multi-artist concert structure).

The same goes for the wide range of potential Who gems: "Baba O'Riley",
"Who Are You", "Behind Blue Eyes", `Won't Get Fooled Again", "I Can See
For Miles", "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", "I'm Free" or any number of
other of other "well-known" Who classics.

"Heart" Material that would work well in this context would include:
"Magic Man", "What About Love?", "Never", "All I Want to Do Is Make Love
to You", "Straight On", "Strong, Strong Wind" and others.

Alan Parsons Project material: "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You", "Time",
"Inside Looking Out", "Psychobabble", "Eagle Will Rise Again", "Voyager"
and many other possibilities.

As For Ambrosia material for Davis Pack… to perform… sure he could pick
out another ditty or two… but he would have plenty of spotlight time
singing a large number of Who and Parsons songs.

Initially, I did enjoy hearing the Beatles material performed by Todd
and his other all-star band mates… "Fool On The Hill" was beautifully
executed… Hearing Todd perform "Rain", "Lady Madonna" and "Revolution"
were highlights for me and (I'm sure) other TR fans… but still it falls
way short of hearing Todd backed-up by a FULL line-up of talented
musicians delivering material he performed in years.

I have no regrets about attending this show… but it could have been
so much better.