Re: Mustang Scottie; Rock music out of nowhere?

> "Most?"  I'd say maybe 25%......if that.  Ultravox & Gary Numan
> come to mind as artists who were "punkier" at their start.

Scott S:

Mustang Scottie, you'd better slow that Mustang down. You're jumping ahead.
In 1976, the music wasn't remotely New Wave. No, NW evolved from Punk...I
stand firmly by that statement. You can say that Glam Rock contributed, and
I'll agree because as I said before Bowie was the main influence. But it's
not a smooth, straight transition...Punk is the bridge. Punk and its atonal
quality allowed for the eventual sound of NW.

> But, for example, The Thompson Twins......they weren't no punks.

I wouldn't call them NW either...they were Pop. The Go-Go's weren't NW,
either. Let's not forget a lot of Pop came along with NW. Talking Heads were
what I'd call Punk, at first.

> Early Devo has a "punk" sound, but later they presaged techno and other
> forms that sounded nothing like "punk".

Rich:

Right. And Techno really came from Kraftwerk, let us not forget.

> This is a strange one.  I've found a reference to Keith Moon at the
Wembley
> Stadium Live Aid concert in 1985.  Um, it was Kenney Jones who played
drums

Keets:

Yes.

> for The Who, right?  Did they show any videos or archive footage at the
> concert that would justify saying Moon was there?

No.

> If you're suggesting that the current warm-fuzzies of the Bush
> administration may be the impetus for future rock music, I'd love to hear
> your theories.

Kevin:

Bush doesn't understand Rock music...well maybe Bachman-Turner Overdrive and
that kind of thing. Steve Miller, Cheap Trick. But I find it humorous Jim
draws a line when discussing Rock music it's wrong to mention the
environment which spawned it...I suppose because he doesn't want to admit
the reality of what that evivronment was, chosing instead (I know from
private EMail) to believe the Rush Limbagh view of the universe (if you can
believe anyone over 5 years old buys into that) that things were rosey
during the 80's...therefore Grunge could not have possibly even existed!
Maybe he listens to Doris Day, I don't know.
I guess it's like a Twilight Zone sort of thinking or something...but I hope
for his eventual redemption.

"Our nation must come together to unite."
      George "pearls of wisdom" Bush

               Cheers                 ML