Re: Political Pete?

> I think Mark's got it mostly right :-)

Jeff (and Scott P):

I never said it was completely great every minute of those years. The early
`60's were a bleak period, but as Brian pointed out we had both Surf and
Motown, both of which were major influences for the greatest Rock band to
ever walk the face of the Earth.

> Put it all to rest once and for all as to who the best band is??

Kevin:

Who doesn't know at this point? See above.

> and get the Stazi to come down on you.  You know, that was one of the
> ways that totalitarianism survived for so long in Russia and China --
> the entire system depended on people being anonymous snitches to rat out
> their family, friends, neighbours, and coworkers.

Don't forget Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" program, which taught children to
turn in their parents "for their own good because they don't know any
better." I think we know where the Nazis are, and The Who have always been
their enemy (and target)...as are all people who dare to think for
themselves. Townshend's music encourages, no pleads for people to go beyond
the accepted. In some cases it's definitely hard to get people to think
beyond what they're told to believe, but I'll hand it to Pete...he has
certainly done more than anyone other than Dylan to instigate it.

"Russia is no longer our enemy and therefore we shouldn't
   be locked into a Cold War mentality that says we keep
    the peace by blowing each other up. In my attitude,
      that's old, that's tired, that's stale."
            George "day old wisdom" Bush

               Cheers                 ML