Re: No social crisis

> I disagree with that. In 82, the who still played with a lot of energy.

Scott P:

Only in comparison to what came after. Put any `82 boot against a `75 boot,
or LAL if you really want a comparison. Then you'll see what I mean.
Besides, they had to speed up the Toronto songs included on IH as bonus
tracks to make them sound better. What does that tell you?

> Don't you think that they did not have a creative spark b/c Pete was down
> that face dances and its hard didn't do that well in terms of how they
were
> viewed to past who albums.

IH did fairly well; about as good as WAY. But Pete was definitely the
reason. He wanted out.

> not experiencing any "malaise".  I'm just not buying the argument that
> the -reason- for grunge's popularity was economic.  People like grunge
> because it was fresh and reminiscient of the punkers of the past
> while still being fresh sounding (to younger ears, anyway).

Rich:

The economy is historically the reason for any malaise in this country. I
can't think off or recall another reason for it in the early 90's, other
than a large segment of the population felt (correctly) they had been
disinfrancised...economically.
I personally liked Grunge not because it was a new type of music, or a fresh
type, but because Pearl Jam was the first band to excite me in 10 years. The
aftermath of New Wave was pretty pathetic, and the hair band Heavy Metal
never did more than amuse me. It was far too dirivitive to be very
interesting.
You must realize that most people (or at least those who listen below the
surface) do not like a type of music because it's a type, but because the
band and songs capture their interest. I know I wasn't thinking "Wow, Grunge
is cool!" but rather that Ten was an indication that Pearl Jam was the band
who could save Rock music. Unfortunately, they didn't hold to that
level...but then again, who could?

"Our nation must come together to unite."
       George "pearls of wisdom" Bush

               Cheers                 ML