RE: helplessWebsiteRAP

Schrade writes:
>In '89 I took what I could get.  You can't always get it when you really
>want it. Yeah, sure it was The Who.  But.......
>
>2000 was so far away, wasn't it?

We're old, now, aren't we?
Funny, back then I always looked far into the future at 2000 as some sort of
monumental landmark.  Now, it's just bizarre to have to look back at 2000.
"what wine, where the hell did I dine".

>I was happy just to get to see 'em in '89.  I was saved by The Who right
>around '81 - '82.  I missed the '82 tour.  I didn't cry, but I remember
>walking
>around my neighborhood in mid-December of '82 feeling kinda helpless.

Oh yeah?  Try walking around helpless in 82 (Fucking Rent's wouldn't allow
me to go) *AND* 89!  And on top of that, believing in your heart of hearts
that you would never, EVER, have the opportunity to EVER see your favorite
band.
I remember in 89 (living in OuterBanks of NC at the time), going surfing
after work and playing Who music in my head the entire session.  I do
believe I shed a tear or two that day (couldn't afford to miss work and thus
be able to pay for college tuition, to go see them in Raleigh).
BUT!
I say BUT!
It all paid off in the end.  Who would have guessed that I'd have the
opportunity to see my favorite band play my favorite album live in 96 and
97, and then see them again at very close range in 2000 doing what they do
best.  Play raw rock, all in great moods, high energy, and Pete all on
electric!
Sometimes, there *IS* a God.

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Pete's site
>
>I would like to cite this quote from Pete's January 21 diary called 'Money'
>
>"Today banks are starting to line up to bankroll artists who wish to set up

>their own direct portal to their audience.  Of course at the moment only
>established artists are being courted."
>
>Good stuff is happening, I feel it in my bones.

I'm with you Jeff. I see this as a very positive thing indeed.  Something
big is going to happen, I can feel it!
Unless, some fucking record company has delivered a law suit or something.
Either way, Pete is bent on blazing the new path of communication with fans.
He won't be stopped.

>From: Quad <quadimages@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Rhino Records Press Release
>Rhino Home Video Puts Quadrophenia The Movie Back On
>The Big Screen

What???  No Burlington, VT showing??????
We'll see about that!

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Conjecture Press Conference for Eelpie/Who Ltd
>
>>Ok, another question.
>>what has re-kindled mr. pete townshend's
>>interest in the who again?
>
>Sex.

It's amazing what an infusion of youth can do for a man!
My wife stated (in a disgusting tone) in response to me bitching about how
Clapton won't tour any more, "did you know that he is 55 and is having a kid
with a *25 year old* ?????

I was like, "uhhhhhhh, Pete is 56 and is dating a 25 year old too" (and then
quickly ducked to avoid the immanent right cross).

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Re: Bad vibes from the Stone & more stuff from 3 days ago
>
>Rap was limited from the start. It's amazing to me it's lasted this long.

I'm still absolutely floored that Crap, whoops, I mean Rap has lasted.
I don't get that.
I mean, I can only understand it from the perspective of teens needing to do
what their parents or earlier generation hate them to do.
Other than that, I don't see the attraction in Rap, or why it has now fully
been integrated into main stream society.

One day to JEB!
Kevin in VT