degeneration of rock

From: "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>
> Subject: RE: degeneration of rock
>
> In what way do you mean? That rock continued into new areas after
> Quadrophenia but Pete failed to keep up? That The Who did break new
> ground
> after 1973 but Pete refuses to see it? The question, as always, is
> okay it's
> 1974 and you're in Pete's shoes. What do you do now? What do you do
> with The
> Who that you haven't done before? Will the band let you do it? Will
> the fans
> put up with it?

I am putting my feet in Pete's shoes today.  He's looking back on where
he feels he didn't live up to his own legacy (post Quad).  He is anxious
about trying to do right by The Who's legacy still.  By espousing this
'rock is dead' line, he is able to both explain why the quality of the
band's work declined and lower the bar of expectations for anything they
have yet to do.

In other words he is saying 'its not just me and The Who that have died,
it is rock itself'.  That just doesn't wash with me and I suspect that
Roger, John, Zak and Rabbit don't buy that line either.  If they did,
they wouldn't still be betting on The Who.  I think rock is still alive
and Pete's brain is still alive.  I have faith that there is some great
work that The Who have not even started working on yet.

Jeff