Re: Quad: the next degeneration, WhobanterPC, Quad purist thinking

Before I get back into this scuffle, I must say that Alan's post is so well
thought out and articulate than I *almost* feel that I'm wrong.

From: Alan McKendree <amck@thenetdr.com>

Me >How is this type of purist thinking different from saying that opera
 >shouldn't be combined with rock, James Brown songs shouldn't be reworked,
 >blues should not be played on electric instruments by white people, The
Who
 >shouldn't exist without Moon, Pete shouldn't play 'thin' Fenders or use
drum
 >machines, John is too trebly, Britney shouldn't sing 'Satisfaction', Coke
 >should not change their formula, the Designated Hitter is evil, old men
 >should not write rock songs, etc.?

Alan:  "You're not arguing the issue.  The issue is not that Quad should not
be changed, but that the particular changes that have been reported so far
are bad."

I was arguing against Mark's assertion that 'Quad is perfect and should not
be changed'.

Alan  "I say it is a collection of music that EVOKES thoughts and feelings.
Those feelings (emotions) come from your evaluation of the music (sound and
lyrics) recorded on the album.  The music on the vinyl is the same for
everyone; the emotions it evokes vary with the individual's values, and if
it evokes simliar emotions in you as in other people..."

You couldn't be more right.

Alan  "I don't like the direction of those changes reported so far. Let's
look at the specifics:"

Of course your analysis of the changes is dead on.  I do have a few
counterpoints:

- What we've heard is a draft.
- We've not seen the script or the production.
- (I'm digging deep into the poop on this point.)  Weakening the lyrical
rhythm does not necessairly weaken the dramatic effect.  The album made its
points by increasing the tension in Jimmy's head through the course of each
thought, song and through the entire piece.  This is especially true in
"Helpless Dancer".  Dramatic presentation will have the spoken word, the
movement of the actors, set design, lighting, etc. to aid in increasing this
tension.  When Pete and Penhall sat down to lay this adaption out, they
*may* have decided to back off on the intensity of the lyrics in some cases
to change the pace.  It was not necessarily a decision to make it more PC.

Jeff