Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #192

on 7/21/01 10:53 AM, Brian Cady eloquently stated:

>> You're right about the casual fans getting squeezed out, that's
>> why SFX is
>> trying to pump up demand in that market a bit by offering them a
>> 'membership'.

> This is why I don't go to see The Rolling Stones or Clapton or Springsteen.
> It's either too much trouble with too many rowdies or it's too expensive to
> escape them (and even then chance are you won't escape them). The only
> reason I'll go to a concert these days is if the best rock band in the world
> is performing.

Brian...

I agree with you concerning a lot of the big artists touring these last few
years (you left out U2, who blatantly screwed their fan club members with
their ticket distribution on this tour), but I have to defend Springsteen
here...

Springsteen went to great lengths NOT to squeeze out his fans.  He made rows
3-17 on the floor available by phone order only in such a way that the same
fans that ordered the seats would be the ones attending the shows (rows 1
and 2 are saved for fans in the cheap seats--Springsteen employees hand them
out by walking around the upper reaches of the arena and surprising the fans
sitting up there).

The result of this policy was that the good seats remained available longer
for those vying for them (I sat in these seats for the vast majority of the
18 shows I attended).    And I got every ticket from the comfort of my own
home (I found that I usually got thru on my cell phone...probably
coincidence, but I can't say for sure).

Additionally, no seat was priced over $67.50, even in the larger markets.
For an artist of Springsteen's magnitude and live reputation, this was a
very reasonable ticket price;  he could have sold out shows at much higher
prices.

Don't get me wrong...I am a big Who fan (although I thought the Quad shows
were much better than the umpteenth GH tour they played last year), but they
certainly have the power to do more to make sure that the fans get better
treatment.