Re: Who let the Quad out?

> What the hell is wrong with changing the lyrics, arrangements, song order,
> instrumentation, musicians, etc.?  I really don't understand the gripe.

Jeff:

Because it diminishes the work. It's not better...even you don't think it's
better, do you? And Townshend's time could certainly be spent better on new
songs than pointless tinkering with the old stuff.
It's not like he's improving it.

> Britney shouldn't sing 'Satisfaction', Coke
> should not change their formula

Both these are definitely true!

> Why shouldn't Pete make changes to Quad so it can be presented in another
> medium, where it can reach more people, and make them feel as good as it
> makes me feel?

Because by watering it down it loses its special quality to make people feel
the way it made you feel.

> Art dies if the artist is not free to interpret his own ideas in his own
> way.

Art dies if it spends endless time rethinking itself.

> theatre-going public.  It will repulse them.

GOOD! They aren't worthy of it, then.

> Here's the problem:  If you keep it "real", it ain't musical theater.

No, here's the problem: they shouldn't take something as pure as Quad is
Rock and turn it into the effin' Teletubbies show fodder.

> BTW, it's not just children's sensibilities we're talking about here.
"What
> is it, I'll take it.  Who is she, I'll rape it"

Which becomes:

"I see her, who is she?"

"Who is she, I'll date her."

"I'll love her, and use a condom."

> Time will tell, but I can picture a Disney-ized version that would involve
> cute, young, furry animal struggling with his impluses to eat his
playmates.

"Can you see the real Micky, can you?"

> And that was FUNNY! You da man, Mark!

Dave:

Thank you kindly.

"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation.
  It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
            George "My IQ is 98" Bush

               Cheers                 ML