RE: No Who - Clear Channel (SFX) grabs more cash

From: "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>
"You know, if SFX is going to be upping the ticket prices so much that only
the most rabid fans will want to go and with the number of casual concert
fans rapidly dwindling, why not move the acts into smaller venues?
If I have to spend $300 to see The Who, I'd rather have them playing at the
House Of Blues."

Not enough gross revenue in the small venues.  I imagine that Curbishley
would demand a pretty high guarantee from them.  SFX has got to make that
back and then some.  Of course, they would want the acts to perform in the
venues they own (like the Tweeter and FleetBoston sheds in Boston).

I'd rather see them for free in my backyard, but I can't see The Who or the
monopolists (SFX) agree to such a thing.

You're right about the casual fans getting squeezed out, that's why SFX is
trying to pump up demand in that market a bit by offering them a
'membership'.  Encourage fans to show loyalty to general concert attendance
rather than specific acts or genres and they are increasing the size of the
market.  Very smart move in the current atmosphere.

Jeff