Quad purist thinking

What the hell is wrong with changing the lyrics, arrangements, song order,
instrumentation, musicians, etc.?  I really don't understand the gripe.

How is this type of purist thinking different from saying that opera
shouldn't be combined with rock, James Brown songs shouldn't be reworked,
blues should not be played on electric instruments by white people, The Who
shouldn't exist without Moon, Pete shouldn't play 'thin' Fenders or use drum
machines, John is too trebly, Britney shouldn't sing 'Satisfaction', Coke
should not change their formula, the Designated Hitter is evil, old men
should not write rock songs, etc.?

I am serious.  Quadrophenia is not just an album to me.  It is a set of
thoughts and feelings that comforts me.  It made me feel like I was not
alone when I was young and reminds me of where I came from now that I'm old.
  It helps me understand myself and others.  It restoreth my soul (OK, I
just went too far).

Why shouldn't Pete make changes to Quad so it can be presented in another
medium, where it can reach more people, and make them feel as good as it
makes me feel?

Art dies if the artist is not free to interpret his own ideas in his own
way.

Jeff