Re: Celtic vs. black music

>I thought it was hilarious when Wesley Snipes in "White Men Can't Jump"
says
>Woody Harrelson can't understand Hendrix because he's white. Everyone
>forgets that Hendrix wasn't that popular in black America. You certainly
>didn't and don't hear it on R&B radio stations here in the States.

Exactly,  in 1969 Hendrix was approached about playing
a benefit show in Harlem.  He initailly, didn't want to for
fear of getting a "what's he doing here" reaction.

The MC for the show said this in the book "Hendrix":
"I doubt seriously if there were enough people in the
audience - youngsters and old people alike - that really
knew what Jimi Hendrix was about...  I don't think the
black masses were appreciative of Hendrix's music
because we were not exposed to it that much.  It's
unfortunate that still today, black people ask who Jimi
Hendrix was."

Bruce