Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #186

In a message dated 7/14/01 4:15:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< I sincerely believe that losing Kit was 100 times more damaging to The
Who's
 artistic momentum than Keith Moon's death. >>

One thing I hate is an assinine statement such as this.  How could a manager
with weak production skills be more damaging to the Who's artistic momentum
than Keith Moon's death. The Who broke up in 1982, 1989, and 1996 because
they realized they could never match the greatness of the Keith Moon years. I
saw the Who in 1976 and again in 1980 and there was no comparison. In 1980
the tunes were slick and polished but without the chaotic violence Moon
brought to the Who. The last album Kit Lambert produced, Tommy, was mixed
rather poorly. Tommy the album was lightweight compared to the live versions
and the drums were more subdued compared to later Who albums produced by
other producers.  The comment you make is a slap to the face of the three
remaining Who members and is disrespective of the artistic sense Moon brought
to their sound. If Kit Lambert never lived the Who would have found a way to
be just as great as they turned out to be. If Moon had never lived the Who
would have been in the same league as a dozen other late 60's to late 70's
bands such as Wishbone Ash, Ten Years After and the Moody Blues, but nothing
more.

Jon