Pete the Liar

> Also, I think this habit many of us have fallen into of calling
> Pete a liar
> (well, an exaggerator and misrepresent or, or simply being mistaken) is
> getting a bit out of hand.
> I think he says what he feels.  Feelings come from different directions at
> times.  Alone, they may not add up.  But, put them all together, and it
> paints a pretty clear picture.
>
> Kevin in VT

You're correct that Pete rarely "lies" in the way we think of lying; i.e.,
he knows what the facts are but tells us something else to mislead us. (For
a pretty egregious example of him doing that kind of lying, however, see the
1981 section of this month's The Who This Month
http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm).

Has anyone here had the Meyers-Briggs personality test? I recently had a
chance to take it and one of the personality traits they found there seems
to match Pete to a T. One of the differences between an introvert and an
extrovert is that an introvert will weigh the facts in his mind before
speaking them while an extrovert tends to speak in order to know his mind.
In other words, Pete doesn't know what he feels or thinks about something
until he works it out by speaking aloud. That's what makes what he says such
a direct expression of his feelings and why it so often doesn't fit with
what he's said before. He's not taking the time to think, "now does this
contradict what I've said before?"

And by the way, for all Roger Daltrey calling Pete a liar, I find his
statements often as inaccurate and misleading as Pete's.

        -Brian in Atlanta