RE: Funky Who

Brian Cady nailed it on the head...

The difference between the Who's R&B influence and say, the Stones or
Clapton is as Brian put it when he quoted Moonie:  they had "Who'd" it.  The
other's were purists; yep, I agree totally Brian.

A perfect example of Pete and The Who taking influences one step further is
this - Pete has said that "Substitute" is was a direct response to the
Stones' "19th Nervous Breakdown".  Pete is on record as saying that he stole
the guitar riff from 19th and changed it somewhat for the opening riff of
"Sub".  Can anyone tell the similarity???  I can't, and as a guitar player
who can play both riffs, I still can't tell the similarity even broken down
in tablature.  See the idea?  Pete may have been influenced by a Keith
Richard's riff, but he made it his OWN by crafting the riff he says he
"stole".

Another example is on Pete's White City.  The song, "Hiding Out" is a direct
ripoff of Paul Simon's "Sounds of Silence"; this is what Pete said, not me
so don't come shooting out my porch light for such sacrilige.  Lyrically,
the song, "Hiding Out" is structured EXACTLY like "Sounds of Silence"
according to Pete.  And when you swap lyrics for the songs, it does work.
But my point is again - could you ever tell that Pete ripped off Paul Simon
unless he told you???  Nope, me either.  Be cool all...

Jim in Colo Springs

"We sing the same old song with a few new lines, and everybody wants to
cheer it..."  PT