Re: Funky Who

> > music eventually became. The Stones' music often is influenced by black
>music, but this is not true for the Who from My Genereation onward.
>
>I have to disagree with you here. The Relay certainly has a funk, and funk
>came from James Brown who as we all know from our reading (kids), Brown was
>a (if not THE) influence for The Who.

I agree that The Who music is highly influenced by American black music--but
it's a long way from being the same.  They never have had the background or
experience to reproduce it accurately.  You can go back to WHO'S MISSING and
hear a couple of pretty accurate imitations, but the songs they picked out
for MY GENERATION are already distanced from their origins--they're punk
instead of blues.

I'm still working on that theory that Who music is Celtic tribal music, and
that spirit they did pick up from what they heard.  Pete says something
about "native rhythms" on the 30 Yrs. video, in regard to ROCK AROUND THE
CLOCK.  He was mostly joking, but I think The Who recognized that for what
it was, and instead of copying what they heard, they've searched around
within their own culture and come up with the same thing.

keets