RE: The Beatles Behemoth

I do listen to The Beatles and like them, but there isn't an album of theirs
that I now can listen to all the way through without hitting the CD "skip"
button at least once.

The early Lennon-sung R&B covers are wonderful. His voice (the Beatles' best
instrument IMHO) is magnificent and often tops the originals. The care of
the production is also something to provoke envy in any Who fan. Oh, for A
QUICK ONE or THE WHO SELL OUT with George Martin at the helm!

One thing that has grown to bother me slightly about The Beatles' later
material is that there seems to be an ironical edge to it. Often it isn't
The Beatles playing and feeling pop, rock, heavy blues, folk, Beach Boys,
etc. It's The Beatles doing their "take" on that type of music. There's a
touch of parody or pastiche to a lot of their later musical experimentation.
Not so much Blackbird as Mockingbird.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm