Re: Younger fans and all that

At 22:31 2-7-01 +0100, Christine wrote:
>Popping out of lurk to add my two pence worth on te N'Sync/Britney thing.
>[snip]
>And then there's the fact that they're always featured on TV and in
>magazines, and also when you're a younger teenager, I think you're more
>influenced by what your peers are doing, and what seems to be considered
>'cool' or the 'in thing' or whatever.
>I found it's when you get to about 14/15 or so, you just grow out of it, and
>form your own tastes.  Well, some do anyway.  I think it's to do with
>fitting in, fear of being alienated, and I think teenagers get affected by
>this a lot.  I don't know how much adults get affected by that, I'm only
>heading out of my teens now.  I don't know if any of this makes any sense,
>but that's my opinion.

Thanks for that post Christine. It sure makes sense. I know young kids
kinda go with the flow (well, MOST of them). :-) It's only 'natural'. And
when you get older you start to think more independent. I think that is a
given fact. Same with music.

But I never gave much for what was popular when I was in my teens (lets say
10-17). I actually was listening more to 50's rock'n'roll and The Beatles.
The Beatles where actually the first band I really liked (and the first
band contact with music that my parents did not have in their collection).
I rarely listened to the radio, I always played records. Was I alienated
from the other kids?

For those who did not know, I'm 21.

I do remember 'liking' to hear what's popular. I heard it when I was going
out, but it wasn't what I loved, but I liked it.

I hope I'm not offending a lot of Britney fans on this list (are there
any?), but I don't think there are many hardcore-diehard-Britney fans as
there are WHO-diehard-fans. (several reasons, mainly because The Who
doesn't perform or produce that much, so that makes it much more
interesting for collectors and because Britney attracts a wide audience
that likes her, but I think not LOVES her)

Maybe on a side-note; I became a very big fan of what is being the new
Dutch Madonna. A rebelious young spice-girl kinda girl who sings feministic
rock songs and attracts an audience of 15-year-old-girls. I LOVE IT! The
artist is called Birgit, and beside just being hot she's also talented and
has a groovy band behind her. Maybe it's the same (teenage???) agression as
The Who has that attract me, but I *LOVE* it... The fact that she's scoring
hits doesn't effect me much. I don't care. I guess for the same reason I
wouldn't care much if The Who won't score with a 'new album'. As long as I
like it I don't care what others think. (yes, I'm 21, I don't go with the
flow anymore!)

I feel so old amongst those Birgit fans and so young amongst those WHO
fans. :-)

NP: "When I was a boy"

Cheers,

Bjørn Ciggaar