Re: Pete = Miles Davis?

> I was watching Ken Burns' "Jazz" last night (which I am addicted to) and
the
> section about the career of Miles Davis made me think of Pete.  Artistic
> boundary-pushing, phenomenal insecurity, brilliance and rudeness to
> collaborators all made me think of PT.

I missed the show, but I did got the CD boxset and it's made me spend a lot
of time thinking about The Who and jazz.  First, wouldn't The Who have been
better off in 1979 if they'd left rock 'n' roll drumming behind and gotten a
big band swing drummer who played like Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich?  Krupa's
drumming on Sing Sing Sing or Drum Boogie sounds more like Keith than almost
any rock drummer I can think of.

Second, the way Pete and John play off each other (especially on the 2000
tour) is practically jazz jamming anyway.  A large part of the joy of
hearing The Who live is listening to those two "trade licks."

-Brian in Atlanta
 The Who This Month!
 Go to: http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm