Re: Moon biopic

>keets: "Might I ask what everyone expects from the upcoming Keith Moon movie?
>Here are some possible choices for discussion: a) an investigation of Moon
>as a person, including formative influences  b) an investigation of Moon as
>a drummer, including formative influences c) an investigation of Moon as a
>member of The Who, including lots of Who music."
>
>I am going to guess we'll see a combination of a & c.  Moon's drumming style
>would be interesting to me, but you have got to have a feelgood populist
>vibe to make it big.  If you want an Oscar, you must throw in some poignancy
>and overracting.
>
>I see a slice of life, character study much like "Man on the Moon".
>
>Casting?  Mike Myers would make a fine Moonie IMHO.
>
>Jeff

If you want an Oscar, get some good writing. I imagine that's what
Roger's looking for, and that's why it's taking so long to get it
started.

For the multiple choice above, I expect mainly c. However, the movie
Backbeat did an interesting job telling the story of someone in a
band (Stu Sutcliffe) without using much music.

I hope it turns out to be a well-written, well-acted, well-cast,
well-received critical and box office success. But people like us
will still find problems with it, no matter what. Such as,

- "There wasn't enough Who music."
- "There was too much music and not enough of a story."
- "There wasn't enough screen time for the other Who members."
- "There wasn't enough hotel room-smashing."
- "There was too much hotel room-smashing."
- "There was nothing about Keith's formative influences."
- "They wasted too much time on his formative influences."
- "They misrepresented who Keith was as a person."
- "Why was the actor playing Roger taller than the actor playing John?"

Most of us know the story too well, especially those of us who've
read the Tony Fletcher book (Are you enjoying it, Mark?). We're bound
to find a two-hour movie lacking in some way, even if we still like
it.

Mike Myers as Keith? Yes, that'd be great. Didn't he say he'd be
interested when it came up several months ago?

Here's another discussion topic: What stories would HAVE to be
included in a movie about Keith's life?

- Joining the Who
- His 21st birthday party in Flint, MI
- Passing out on stage (in SF?)
- His death

Jim

"Could I please, please, please have my lawn mower back?" - PT, 11-9-98